Alrighty folks, it is JUST about that time of year. You know, summer is on the way out and the smells of cotton candy, nachos, & new car seem to blend while beckoning you to Fair Park for the annual Texas institution- The State Fair! This year's fair dates are Friday, September 30th 2016 until Sunday, October 23, 2016. Fair hours are daily, 10am-9pm on week days and 10am-10pm weekends.
Below, find highlights of this year's offerings. We have included tons of links on specifics, but check out www.bigtex.com for everything, and I mean EVERYTHING you might want to know about our state's almost month-long party!
Food- We have our FAVs, do you? You know they fair will have endless creations that are billowy and fried, and don't forget sweet. Check out the list of 2016 Big Tex Choice Awards, then go find them, but don't forget your "stretchy pants," and to leave your fitbit at home!
Entertainment- Do you love live music? The State Fair of Texas has some great acts, from local to big names, there is something for everyone! Check out the line up on the Chevy Mainstage, Kacey Musgraves, Nelly, The Peterson Brothers, Le Freak, just to name a few, and make sure to find your local favorites among additional Fair Park music venues. We happen to think The Killdares are pretty great!
College Football Games- Which teams will win? Who knows, but make sure you put these dates on your calendar to participate in the thrill of college football, fandom, and some truly magnificent marching bands.
- Prairie View A&M University vs.Grambling State 10/01/16
- The Red River Classic-featuring the University of Texas vs. University of Oklahoma 10/08/16
- new this year....Air Force Academy v. New Mexico Lobos 10/15/16
Urban-Approved- Our Never-Miss Picks for a great State Fair experience
- Auto Show
- Fireworks Show
- Evening Parade
- Budweiser Clydesdales
- Petting Zoo
- Sheep-Herding Dog Show
- Riding the DART
Discount Ideas- Click on link for more discount information and links.
- Season Pass- IF you plan to go more than once. The Season Combo Pack includes two season passes, plus, 100 food/ride tickets for $95.
- Advance Purchase + DART- Check out DART's Go Pass app. This entitles purchaser to a $2 ticket savings, plus DART tickets. Bonus, all tickets reside on your phone...paperless EASY!
- Opening Day WITH a 20oz Coke product = 1/2 price admission...don't forget the Opening Day parade! Military also receive free admission, along with spouses and children. Just present Military ID.
- McDonald's Coupons- $5 off any general admission, and a coupon for 1/2 tickets for kids, when adults pay full price.
- Dr. Pepper Tuesdays- Each person with a Dr.Pepper can will get $5 tickets on Tuesdays, or half-price admission after 5pm any day. Need MORE of a reason to go on Tuesdays? All midway rides except thrill rides and Texas Star are 6 tickets on Tuesdays.
- North Texas Food Bank Wednesdays-Donate 4 or more cans and your admission is just $4!
- Senior Days- Ladies & Gentlemen 60 and over receive $4 off admission every day, but on Thursdays, admission is FREE for those 60 and over!!
- Thrifty Thursdays- Bring your empty 20 oz or greater Coke cans and admission is only $6. Thrifty Thursdays also offers discounts on State Fair food items, most, 1/2 price or better!
- KISS-FM Fridays- Visit the radio station's website to print a $5 off coupon for each person in your group, valid on Fridays.
Let's face it, everyone is always talking about uber or lyft, but we prefer to kick it a little more old school and a lot greener by taking the DART to The State Fair. The green line stops right in front of the entrance, so there really is no excuse. Both the Fair Park Station and Martin Luther King, Jr. station serve Fair Park. Sit back and let someone else drive! Don't forget, if you want to pre-buy your fair tickets, there is a DART combo option.